It's very exciting to be able to announce that Jeff Paget, organist at St Peter's for 50 years, has been made a member of the Order of St Ethelbert: The Order was instituted in 2015 as a means of recognising devoted and loyal service to the diocese and cathedral through their parish churches and community. This year’s list reflects a wide range of recipients, all of whom have worked tirelessly in their own areas of Christian ministry. Presentations to the Order will be made on Sunday 14 October at 3.30 pm during Choral Evensong. Each recipient will receive a certificate and badge of the order, together with a new book on the Life of St Ethelbert, Hereford’s patron saint, written by the Dean. For more information on this year's recipients, check out the diocesan website.
Vicar of St Martin’s Celebrated!
The Violet Plaques Project has seen eleven temporary plaques installed across the city in key locations to commemorate moments within the suffragette movement. The idea for the violet plaques arose during the research phase of the Eastern Cloisters Project, a Heritage Lottery Funded project based within the cloisters of Hereford Cathedral. In St Martin’s we have a plaque to commemorate Reverend George Kirwood. Born in London in 1819, George Henry Kirwood attended St Bees Theological College, Cumbria, which was for the training of non-graduate clergymen. He became Vicar of St Martin’s Church in Hereford in 1857 retiring in 1893. He sought to improve local conditions for the community, providing education through the foundation of St Martin’s School in 1859. Reverend Kirwood was elected President of the Hereford YMCA in 1866, a post he held until he retired. He campaigned for women’s equality and wrote extensively on the need for universal suffrage. In May 1878 he addressed a public meeting at Shire Hall organised by the National Society for Women’s Suffrage. Follow the stories by using #VioletPlaques.